This month our featured artist is Svetlana Kunina an artist who makes beautiful fused glass and metal work! She is featuring the Diamond Tech Fuseworks Microwave Kiln in her book Stunning Jewelry Made Easy due out in October. We just cant wait to make one of her beautiful designs!
How did you get started in glass fusing?
• First, I started making one-of-a-kind glass beads on a torch. Then, as I worked more and more with glass I became interested in fusing, creating different designs, playing with shapes and color combinations.
Why did you get started in glass fusing?
• I already had all the necessary equipment and it was the most logical thing to do. I had a lot of inspiration from geometrical shapes and designs that I was already making in beadweaving, so it was an interesting addition to my designs.
How have your other interests/hobbies/career influenced your glass designs?
• Mostly lampwork beads that I was making, there is always something that doesn’t turn out the way you want it or develops a crack. Fusing gives me another possibility of how turn it into something beautiful. I also, incorporate fused pieces into beadwork and that adds a unique touch to the whole piece.
What inspires you?
• Glass and metals are fascinating materials to work with, there are so many things possible and I love to push boundaries and experiment by combing different mediums. This challenge is very inspirational to me.
What makes your work unique from everyone else’s?
• My perspective, I sometimes see things from a different angle. Also, my cultural background, growing up in Russia was a great experience, rich culture and art & craft traditions. Travelling in countries around Europe and USA brought an interesting influence, so it’s like a mixture of different elements that need to be balanced.
Who’s work, glass or otherwise, do you most admire?
• It’s hard to pinpoint, there are so many talented artists out there. I love Sarah Hornik’s Glass Beads, Beadwork of NanC Meinhardt, she was one of my teachers. Kate McKinnon’s work – just to name a few.
Do you sell your work? If so, where?
• On my web site www.NecessaryJewelry.com and in galleries, boutiques, art shows.
What are some upcoming exhibits/shows that you are excited about?
• I am planning to do more shows next year. This and last year I primarily concentrated my efforts on my new book, Stunning Jewelry Made Easy due out in October 2011.
What advice would you give other artists?
• Apply your unique vision to everything you create. Stay different. Study different techniques and make them part of your designs. Observe what other Artists are doing and learn from experience. Keep an open mind.
Contact Svetlana Kunina:
www.BeadKnots.com – web site that sells Patterns to her original designs