This month we have three giveaways! We’re still wild about this mosaics this month! We are giving away one of each of our new Antiquity Mosaics Catchall and Clock Kits at Creating the Hive and FaveCrafts this month and mosaic stepping stone supplies at CraftBits!
Check out Creating the Hive for our Antiquity Mosaics giveaway – Look for the featured post! Enter 5/31-/2012 – 6/10/2012
Click on the link to enter our Antiquity Mosaics FaveCrafts giveaway! Enter 6/1/2012-6/15/2012
Click on the link to enter our Jennifer’s Mosaics Stepping Stone Kit CraftBits giveaway! Enter 6/1/2012 – 7/1/2012
Back in January we made a donation of mosaic tiles to Tyler Tate, a Boy Scout from Troop 1 in Roseville, CA. Tyler is working towards his Eagle Scout rank and last fall he decided to embark on a major a great community project with Roseville Arts to revitalize Sculpture Park.
From 1993 to 2003 the city sponsored a contest for local children to create designs for bronze plaques to be placed on stanchions in Sculpture Park but in the summer of 2010 vandals stole and damaged nearly a third of the original 96 bronze plaques so city officials decided to relocate the plaques to prevent any further vandalization. In the spirit of the original contest, Tyler arranged a contest for fifth graders in the city to create mosaic designs to fill the void that the vandalized plaques left.
In January, 96 winners were chosen and the kids started on their mosaics, creating wonderful wildlife themed designs! Over 1300 community service hours have gone into revitalizing the park so far. Can you believe that 5th graders created these mosaics! What a great job!
Way to go Tyler! We are so proud to have been a part of this project! To read more about Roseville Arts and the revitalization click here!
Marble is becoming ever more present in kitchens these days; add a little to yours with a simple marble trivet. What a lovely craft to create over this Memorial Day Weekend.
All you need is Antiquity Mosaics marble tiles, a base and adhesive – no nipping or grouting involved! The Greco-Roman pattern makes this trivet perfect for functional use or just as décor! Click on the link to download the instructions and pattern for this mosaic trivet and be sure to visit our Creative Corner for great glass crafting projects and join us on Facebook for great crafting tips, projects and news.
I think marble tile looks beautiful in mosaics, in fact, it’s one of my favorite tesserae to work with. I must caution though– it’s addictive to work with; with such naturally blending colors and beautiful veining it’s hard for me to stop.
When it comes to nipping, marble tile needs a different touch than glass tile, but fear not, these guidelines will help you get the best nip.
These guidelines really only apply if you are using thin marble, like Antiquity Mosaic’s marble tiles – if you are using anything over 8mm like what you may find in a home improvement store may be too dense to nip and you will have to resort to using a hammer and hardie – like they did around the time mosaics first came about.
- Unlike most glass tile, where you will most likely be using a wheeled glass nipper – you will find that the most efficient and effective tool to nip marble with is a tile nipper
- There can be a bit of variance when nipping marble between and among colors. Since marble is a natural material, there are bound to be natural differences even within the same color tiles, some pieces may be considerably soft or hard based on natural differences, take this into consideration when nipping marble and note that sometimes you may have trouble and it won’t be due to user error.
- To cut down on user error issues when you are nipping marble always use a firm grip to clinch the nipper’s jaws – if you are nip to lightly the marble can crumble
- Because of the variance in the hardness of the marble, the best way to nip marble is by centering the tile between the jaws so that the entire cut line is covered – check out this video for a helpful guide
- Relax and take a few breaks when nipping marble, especially if creating mosaics takes you to your zen place like me!
Head on over to our Creative Corner to check out some great marble mosaic projects and take a look at our new Antiquity Mosaic Kits while you are there – they contain everything you need to make a spectacular marble mosaic!
If you are anything like me, you are still thinking of what to get your mom for Mother’s Day.
Wouldn’t it be great to sit around and create something wonderful while munching on snacks and sipping a nice glass of wine? Throw a Mother’s Day Mosaic Party for Mom this year! Invite the whole family or some friends!
There’s no better way to spend some good quality time with your mom and/or your kids this Mother’s Day than making something together. After all, isn’t time the best gift we can give each other?
What you’ll need:
- A few surfaces to mosaic – an old vase, plant pot, frame or mirror works great – old or new – pick whatever you like
- An assortment of mosaic tile – Classico, Deco Ceramic and 3/8″ Venetian tiles are perfect because they require no nipping!
- Tile nippers or wheeled glass nippers – if you choose tile that requires nipping
- Grout – we recommend grey because it blends with everything – but if you want your grout to match the tile or surface you have selected, by all means try it!
- Mosaic adhesive – we like to use E-6000 or Weldbond
- Finger foods and wine or pop for the kids! – if you have a big family or lots of friends coming, make it a potluck – everyone brings something!
Head on over to our Creative Corner to get an idea of what to create! If you see something you like you can even download the pattern! Check out our store locator to find all the mosaic materials you’ll need. Take a peak at a few of our helpful mosaic blogs about nipping, grouting,mosaicing on a curved surface and clean-up to get a few pointers!
Happy mosaicing and Happy Mother’s Day too!
We are so excited about the CHA Winter 2012 show that we just can’t wait to show off some of what we have in store! Last week we showed you our new G2 Bottle Art Kits.
This week we bring you the most inclusive mosaic kits on the market; the Antiquity Mosaics Clock Kit and Antiquity Mosaics Catchall Kit! We are so excited about these two amazing mosaic kits that we have built our CHA Winter theme around them!
Each kit contains a sustainable wood surface, a full-sized tile nipper, three Greco-Roman patterns ranging from easy to difficult, real marble tile, grout, mosaic glue, and everything you need to create a stylish clock or catchall!
If you are attending the 2012 CHA Winter show, come by and visit us at booth #1011 and check out our exciting new products!